so if you’re wondering, should i check out the civ rev lite for the iphone, the answer undoubtedly is YES. you’ll play it for about 3 hours before you decide to purchase the full iphone game which is currently about 7 dollars and its a steal even at that price. i myself am a sid meier sim city fiend from way back in the day and really fully enjoy a strategy game that is so polished and addictive, its near perfect in every way.
so the iphone version, yeah the graphics aren’t the best but its simple and very usable and the core of the game comes shining thru. i’ve decided to post a few of my tips on how to play and win at this fantastic game.
1. units, cities and movement.
so this is easy – each unit has an attack rating and a defense rating. when you start out with a warrior unit, its attack and defense ratings are both set at 1. an archer unit however has a higher defense rating (3) and a relatively low attack rating. when moving your troops always always always bring a strong defensive unit along with you to cover.
for example, you have a warrior unit or army, a legion unit or army, an archer unit AND an archer army. depending on whether or not the city you are defending (probably your capital at first) is at risk of being attacked, you should take your archer army along with your warrior and legion when attacking another city, leaving your archer unit behind to cover your base. if there is a shot that the enemy may get to you from an alternate route, leave your archer army in your city and take just the unit along for the siege.
so there is an ‘experience’ system at work for units and armies. after defeating a comparable foe, your unit gets X number of experience points, fewer for defeating a much lesser foe and more for defeating a stronger opponent. if you hold off a legion army from your city with a single archer unit, they will gain much more experience and be eligible for an upgrade. now depending on what your current objective in the game is, combined with what type of unit it is should dictate the type of upgrade you go for.
if its an attacking unit (legion, warrior, horsemen, knights, catapult, etc) by far the most valuable upgrade is the infiltration upgrade (+100% attack on cities). this is always my first choice for stronger units as you’ll need a super powerful army to penetrate the archer, pikemen, riflemen or infantry armies that are defending.
the scout upgrade is also invaluable, allowing you to preview city attacks – basically whether or not its worth it to attempt an attack.
word of advise: if you have an attack rating of 12 with a veteran legion army and you scout that the defenders are an archer army with a defense rating also of 12, save yourself the effort and don’t attack. chances are you’re going to be slaughtered.
tips for a successful siege.
1. bring a spy or two, make sure to cover them with other units all the way to the city or they’ll be captured!
2. if the city is next to a hill, park ALL your units on said hill. its attack advantage is absolutely required most of the time.
3. scout the cities defense if possible, then attack with your strongest unit first. (they’ll be defending with the strongest defender)
4. block the roads. you can sit and attack for round after round after round, demolishing tons of enemy armies but if there is a road into town chances are they’re feeding troops to you from elsewhere to keep the city. park a strong defensive unit (pikeman army or archer) on the road and defend. cut those troops off!
5. bring at least a couple strong attack armies. (knights, catapults, cannons). its harder to take cities with just legions and warriors.